Wednesday, November 26, 2008

book links

I just finished "Into The Wild" by Jon Krakauer. It made for an awesome read needless to say. It also introduced me to some beautiful yet simple lines from other works. Amongst which are Thoreau's thoughts on vegetarianism.

I leave you with this -
The repugnance to animal food is not the effect of experience, but is an instinct. It appears more beautiful to live low and fare hard in many respects; and though I never did so, I went far enough to please my imagination...

It is hard to provide and cook so simple and clean a diet as will not offend the imagination; but this, I think, is to be fed when we feed the body; they should both sit down at the same table. Yet perhaps this may be done. The fruits eaten temperately need not make us ashamed of our appetites, nor interrupt the worthiest pursuits. But put an extra condiment into your dish, and it will poison you.

No comments: