Friday, July 3, 2009

A Suitable Girl to follow

Vikram Seth is all set to write a sequel to 'A Suitable Boy' which was published in 1993. 'A Suitable Boy' will always rank in my top favorites, undoubtedly the best modern classic and the best book by an Indian author that I have read so far. A highly recommended read.

The book is set in a newly independent India, the sequel will mainly be set around 60 years later - in the current times. So, Lata Mehra (for whom a suitable boy was sought after in the first novel) will be 80 years old and is to find a suitable girl for her grandson. I can hardly wait to find out about how absorbing the sequel will turn out to be!!


How did Lata's married life turn out, did she ever regret her decision? And what about Kabir .. How did life treat Malathi.. And what about Seth's portrayal of contemporary India, will 'A Suitable Girl' turn out to be a true classic for the future generations?

Well, I only have to wait for 4 years to find out.

Oh, I could just read the book (of epic proportions at around 1400 pages) all over again! I remember picking it at Blossoms on Church Street and thinking it was worth every penny just for the size! And later after reading it, I returned it at Blossoms as I didn't think it appropriate to lug around the book in my then nomadic existence. But I'll be bringing the book back when I feel I have a cosy home for it.

What is your favorite book by Seth and while at it that by any Indian author?

2 comments:

Rach said...

Hey, just discovered this goldmine of yours via Goodreads :)

I really liked A Suitable Boy as well. It took me a long time to cover though, quite a tome to lug about!

Among Indian authors I really like Manju Kapur, she has a great eye for the thoughts/behaviours/mannerisms of the Indian family, mostly Northern middle class. Check out some of her books like Difficult daughters (Independence era), Home, etc.

Poornima said...

Hey Rachna,
It's a nice surprise to see your comment :)
I've heard of Manju Kapur, but haven't read any of her books. Will definitely remember the titles you've suggested!