Sunday, August 1, 2010

Julie & Julia

Julie & Julia by Julie Powell was the last read (and almost re-read). True story of Julie who gets out of a rut by cooking her way through it, but it's more than that really. Was hooked on to the book from the start (though it isn't a page-turner sort), for various reasons that I wont dwell into here. The key being this is the most honest piece of writing I've come across recently.


What I like about this book is somewhat akin to what Julie says about the Book. In her own words:
I didn't understand for a long time, but what attracted me to MtAoFC was the deeply buried aroma of hope and discovery of fulfillment in it. I thought I was using the Book to learn to cook French food, but really I was learning to sniff out the secret doors of possibility.
Sometimes, if you want to be happy, you've got to run away to Bath and marry a punk rocker. Sometimes you've got to dye your hair cobalt blue, or wander remote islands in Sicily, or cook your way through Mastering the Art of French Cooking in a year, for no very good reason. Julia taught me that.
Oh, and Julie's admirable...but Eric's the star :)

No comments: